Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
 
 
 
October 24, 2017
Blog Topics
President's Blog
Google
Site Search
Site Map
RSS Feeds
History

  

The Billerica Fire Department was established in 1847. At that time, Billerica was mostly a farming community except for North Billerica which had several large mills. Most of the Firefighters were mill workers.  The first Fire House was built in 1853 at the corner of Wilson and Faulkner Streets.  The Mills had purchased a hand tub from Stephen Thayer of Boston (Protection #1).  This is the first Fire Engine in town. In 1852 the town purchased a hand tub from Hunneman of Boston ( HERO #2) which was also placed into service in North Billerica.

In 1889, a Fire Company was formed in Billerica Center, using a small hand tub. Around this time, the Town did buy another hand tub from West Cambridge, now Belmont.  It was manufactured by Howard & Davis.  During the early years of the Department, the company's would elect their leadership, there was no ranking of Chief or Captain, that would come later. Every Spring the men would vote a Foreman, Assistant Foreman and a Clerk to lead the Fire Company and to also accept new members.

 

UNDER CONSTRUCTION




Page Last Updated: Jan 07, 2012 (13:33:30)
Member Login
Username:

Password:


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up

Forgot Your Login?
<< October 2017 >>
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Important Links
IAFF
PFFM
Billerica Fire Department Website
Billerica Firefighters Facebook
Department of Fire Services
OEMS Continuing Education
MDA
Visit donnellyforsenate.com!
 
 
Billerica Firefighters
Copyright © 2017, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

236020 hits since Mar 13, 2011
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image