The Billerica Fire Department was established in 1847. At that time, Billerica was mostly a farming community except for North Billerica which had several large mills. Most of the Firefighters were mill workers. The first Fire House was built in 1853 at the corner of Wilson and Faulkner Streets. The Mills had purchased a hand tub from Stephen Thayer of Boston (Protection #1). This is the first Fire Engine in town. In 1852 the town purchased a hand tub from Hunneman of Boston ( HERO #2) which was also placed into service in North Billerica.
In 1889, a Fire Company was formed in Billerica Center, using a small hand tub. Around this time, the Town did buy another hand tub from West Cambridge, now Belmont. It was manufactured by Howard & Davis. During the early years of the Department, the company's would elect their leadership, there was no ranking of Chief or Captain, that would come later. Every Spring the men would vote a Foreman, Assistant Foreman and a Clerk to lead the Fire Company and to also accept new members.
Page Last Updated: Jan 07, 2012 (13:33:30)